All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a collection of nine essays exploring the Irish-American experience in the New Jersey and New York metropolitan area, both historically and today. The essays place the local Irish-American experience in the wider context of immigration studies, assimilation, and historical theory. Using case studies, interviews, scholarly research in primary historical documents and theory, and first-hand experience, the authors delve into what it has meant, and means, to be Irish American in the New Jersey and New York area, projecting what this ethnic identity will signify in years to come. Representing a variety of scholarly and professional disciplines, from archivists; to historians; to lawyers; to scholars of literature and theology; the authors share their own unique perspectives on the significance of the contributions of Irish-Americans to American life in various arenas. Each chapter is interdisciplinary, revealing the interconnections among cultural history, biography, contemporary events, and literary appreciation. It is through these intersections of disciplines, of past and present, of individual and community, that we can best analyze and appreciate the ways that Irish-Americans have shaped life in the New Jersey/New York area over the past two centuries.
- Author BiographyMaura Grace Harrington is an instructor in the English Department at Seton Hall University. Her articles have appeared in many journals including Yeats Eliot Review, Edgar Allan Poe Review, South Carolina Review, and Early Modern Literary Studies. Marta M. Deyrup is professor/librarian I at Seton Hall University and served for six years as the university's codirector of women and gender studies. She is the editor of Digital Scholarship and the East-Central European Collections of the New York Public Library Research Libraries and the author of The Vita Constantini as Literary and Linguistic Construct for the Early Slavs.
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication04/11/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note3 black & white halftones
- Weight331 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMarta Deyrup,Maura Grace Harrington
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $91.12
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.68
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $99.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.