All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Iron Age in Northern Britain examines the impact of the Roman expansion rthwards, and the native response to the Roman occupation on both sides of the frontiers. It traces the emergence of historically-recorded communities in the post-Roman period and looks at the clash of cultures between Celts and Romans, Picts and Scots. Northern Britain has too often been seen as peripheral to a 'core' located in south-eastern England. Unlike the Iron Age in southern Britain, the story of which can be conveniently terminated with the Roman conquest, the Iron Age in rthern Britain has such horizon to mark its end. The Roman presence in southern and eastern Scotland was militarily intermittent and left untouched large tracts of Atlantic Scotland for which there is a rich legacy of Iron Age settlement, continuing from the mid-first millennium BC to the period of Norse settlement in the late first millennium AD. Here D.W. Harding shows that rthern Britain was t peripheral in the Iron Age: it simply belonged to an Atlantic European mainstream different from southern England and its immediate continental neighbours.
- Author BiographyD. W. Harding is Abercromby Professor and a former Vice-Principal at the University of Edinburgh. He has been involved in fieldwork in Northern Britain, including excavation and air-photography (for which he has held a private pilot's licence), for more than thirty years, most recently directing a long-term programme of excavation and research in the Western Isles of Scotland. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Author(s)Dennis William Harding
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication26/08/2004
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note56 black & white illustrations, 69 black & white line drawings
- Weight725 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.