All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $27.19
- AU $43.81Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
About this product
- DescriptionA classic of science fiction and a dark meditation on Darwinian thought in the late Victorian period, The Island of Doctor Moreau explores the possibility of civilisation as a constraint imposed on savage human nature. The protagonist, Edward Prendick, finds himself stranded on an island with the torious Doctor Moreau, whose experiments on the island's humans and animals result in unspeakable horrors. The critical introduction to this Broadview Edition gives particular emphasis to Wells's hostility towards religion as well as his thorough kwledge of the Darwinian thought of his time. Appendices provide passages from Darwin and Huxley related to Wells's early writing; in addition, excerpts from other writers illustrate late-nineteenth-century anxieties about social degeneration.
- Author BiographyMason Harris is a retired Professor of English at Simon Fraser University.
- Author(s)H. G. Wells
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.