All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis anthology represents the diversity, inventiveness, and intellectual energy of J. Hillis Miller, the single most significant North American literary critic of the twentieth century. First published in the 1950s, Miller has continued to make invaluable contributions to our understanding of the practice and theory of literary criticism, the ethics and responsibilities of teaching and reading, and the role of literature in the modern world. He has also led the way for successive generations of scholars and students in demonstrating the necessity of comprehending the relationship between philosophy and literature. Divided into five sections - The Ethics of Reading, Victorian Interests, Twentieth-Century Occasions, Practice and Theory, Pedagogical and Political Commitments - the Reader provides more than twenty extracts from some of Miller's most significant publications including one unpublished article. In addition, there is also a new interview with J. Hillis Miller, as well as a series of specially commissioned critical responses to Miller's work by some of the most important critics in literary and cultural studies today.A critical introduction by the editor, a comprehensive bibliography and a chrology of Miller's professional life and activities complete the book. This, the first reader of Miller's work in English, is an indispensable overview and introduction to one of the most original and challenging critical voices to have emerged since the inception of the teaching of English and American literature in universities in the English-speaking world. Features *Presents a comprehensive survey of J Hillis Miller's work introducing the reader to a highly original critical voice kwn especially for his work on the ethics of reading, deconstruction, Victorian and Twentieth-Century literature, pedagogy and politics *The readings range from the 1950s to the present day, reflecting all major aspects of cutting edge literary criticism. *Specially commissioned responses to J Hillis Miller's work from international critics and theorists. *Includes a new interview with J Hillis Miller together with a full bibliography of his works and a chrology.
- Author BiographyJulian Wolfreys is Professor of Modern Literature and Culture, with the Department of English and Drama, at Loughborough University. He has published extensively on nineteenth- and twentieth-century British literature, and theoretical approaches to literature. His most recent books are Thomas Hardy and Literature, in Theory. He is currently working on The Derrida Wordbook (EUP) and a study of the relation between philosophy and poetry in the nineteenth century.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication07/12/2004
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight838 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byJulian Wolfreys
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.51
- AU $21.38Trending at AU $22.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.