All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Jesus Story weaves the accounts of the four Gospels into one easy to read narrative in today's language. This approach offers a fresh view the story of Jesus' life to those familiar with the Gospel accounts and a fascinating introduction for persons t acquainted with the biblical narratives. Dr. Ivan Leaman, retired medical missionary and S.S. Bible teacher says, The Jesus Story is a unique way to read about Jesus. John Miller has taken the stories and teachings of Jesus in the four Gospels and woven them into one continuous story. With his kwledge of Greek he has been able to give to us the Jesus story using fresh and modern English words. Pick up this book and as you read, let this story of Jesus and his words strike you in new and powerful ways. New Testament scholar Dr. George R. Brunk III adds, While respecting the diversity of our four Gospels, we can also ackwledge the legitimacy and value of creating a unified version of the Jesus story. This is what the present publication offers. Its value lies in several directions: 1. There is the simple, practical value of giving easy access to all the stories of Jesus' earthy life in one continuous and more or less chrological form. 2. By seeing the whole of what we kw about Jesus, the reader is able to sense more readily that a deep harmony and coherence exists in and behind the several versions of the story. A fresh kind of spiritual inspiration can result. 3. There is also a more subtle value in the particular kind of harmony represented here. The actual wording of the original Gospels is preserved. The alert reader will, therefore, sense the differences in style, vocabulary, and point of view from account to account, reflecting the different authors. Thus the thoughtful reader is encouraged to take seriously both the similarity and the differences in the way Jesus was remembered by his first followers. It is with the hope of just such fruitful outcomes t that I commend John Miller's labor of love to the reader.
- Author BiographyJohn M. Miller's early spiritual formation took place in a rural Mennonite church in Oregon. As a boy he read the New Testament Gospels and Jesus became the center of his faith. Later, as a missionary he became interested in how language and culture shape the stories that undergird faith and completed a doctorate in cross-cultural communication at Southern Methodist University. He is fascinated with Jesus' life. As a biblical scholar with knowledge of the language and culture of Jesus' time, and as a retired missionary and professor of missions, he has spent over ten years in a devotional exercise to translate and weave the words of the four New Testament Gospels into a readable narrative in today's language.
- Author(s)Dr John M Miller
- Date of Publication02/02/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight127 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.