Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $46.87
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.47
- AU $23.77Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.12
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.88
- AU $32.08Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis book represents comprehensive research into the world's Jewish press during the Second World War and explores its stance in the face of annihilation of the Jewish people by the Nazi regime in Europe. The research is based on the major Jewish newspapers that were published in four countries - Palestine, Britain, the United States and the Soviet Union - and in three languages - Hebrew, Yiddish and English. The Jewish press frequently described the situation of the Jewish people in occupied countries. It urged the Jewish leaders and institutions to act in rescue of their brethren. It protested vigorously against the refusal of the democratic leadership to recognize that the Jewish plight was unique because of the Nazi intention to annihilate Jews as a people. Yosef Gorny argues that the Jewish press was the persistent open national voice fighting on behalf of the Jewish people suffering and perishing under Nazi occupation.
- Author BiographyYosef Gorny is Professor Emeritus of Jewish History at Tel-Aviv University, where he served since 1970. His main fields of interest and research are the history of Zionism; the building of the Jewish national entity in Eretz-Israel (Palestine); the Jewish-Arab conflict; the relations between the State of Israel and the Jewish Diaspora in the United States and in Europe; and the Zionist Labor Movement in Palestine and the anti-Zionist Labor movement in Eastern Europe. His books include Zionism and the Arabs, 1882-1948: A Study of Ideology; The State of Israel in Jewish Public Thought: The Quest for Collective Identity; Converging Alternatives: The Bund and the Zionist Labor Movement, 1897-1985; and Between Auschwitz and Jerusalem. He has been a visiting professor at the Jewish Theological Seminary, New York University, Illinois State University, Urbana, and the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Yosef Gorny
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication17/07/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight460 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.