All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrace Hartigan emerged during the 1950s as a leading representative of the 'second generation' of the New York School of abstract expressionist painters, a movement that achieved international standing for American art. In 1958, Hartigan was the only woman and one of only two artists under forty chosen by the Museum of Modern Art for a show on that school. Entitled The New American Painting, the show traveled to eight European countries and included such artists as Willem de Kooning, Robert Motherwell, Barnett Newman, Jackson Pollock, and Mark Rothko. Published for the first time, Hartigan's journals offer readers an intimate chronicle of the vibrant artistic and literary milieu of the times. Hartigan's interactions with many of its leading artists, and her close association with such New York School poets as John Ashbery, Kenneth Koch, and Frank O'Hara, make for fascinating reading. The only contemporaneous record of this extraordinary period in art history, this book is a treasure to the art student and literary scholar alike. Grace Hartigan's paintings are held in museums throughout the United States, including the Metropolitan Museum and the Whitney Museum of Art. Since 1965 she has worked at the Maryland Institute College of Art, where she is the director of the Hoffberger Graduate School of Painting.
- Author BiographyWilliam T. La Moy serves as curator of Rare Books and Printed Materials for the Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University Library. Joseph P. McCaffrey is the Dana Foundation teaching assistant for the Special Collections Research Center at Syracuse University Library.
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication15/05/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Note8 colour & 41 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJoseph P. McCaffrey,William T.La Moy
- Introduction byTerence Diggory
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.