CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionThe Jurassic Coast, stretching from Exmouth to Studland on the South Coast, is England's first natural World Heritage Site, putting it on a par with such famous features as the Grand Canyon. This 95-mile stretch of coastline exposes 185 million years of geological history covering the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. This heritage makes for extremely varied scenery, from the red cliffs of East Devon through the stone landscapes of Portland and Purbeck to the gleaming chalk stacks near Studland. Human history and culture are also well represented. There are prehistoric tumuli, castles and fortifications, Regency and Victorian resorts, Britain's only onshore oil well, strange follies and literary landscapes, each with their own fascinating story to tell. Authors including Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, John Fowles and Ian McEwan have found inspiration for their works along this coastline and the area is rich in folklore too; tales of smugglers, ghosts, mermaids and sea monsters abound. This unique selection of images, accompanied by an insightful commentary, is the perfect companion for anyone who is keen to discover more about this uniquely beautiful stretch of coastline.
- Author BiographyPaul is an editor for Folkestone Creative, which includes Writing and commissioning articles, proof-reading, working on magazine layout and content. Further to that, he has worked in a number of heritage roles, including as a custodian of a Martello tower.
- Author(s)Paul Harris
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication15/05/2014
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note100
- Weight340 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.