All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese two modern classics by the great Japanese velist Junichiro Tanizaki, both utilize the diary form to explore the authority that love and sex have over all. In The Key, a middle-aged professor plies his wife of thirty years with any number of stimulants, from brandy to a handsome young lover, in order to reach new heights of pleasure. Their alternating diaries record their separate adventures, but whether for themselvess or each other becomes the question. Diary of a Mad Old Man records, with alternating humor and sadness, seventy-seven-year-old Utsugi s discovery that even his stroke-ravaged body still contains a raging libido, especially in the unwitting presence of his chic, mysterious daughter-in-law.
- Author BiographyJunichiro Tanizaki was born in Tokya in 1886 and lived there until the earthquake of 1923, when he moved to the Kyoto-Osaka region, the scene of The Makioka Sisters. By 1930 he had gained such reknown that an edition of his complete works was published. Author of more than twelve novels, he was awarded Japan's Imperial Prize in lLiterature in 1949. Tanizaki died in 1965.
- Author(s)Junichiro Tanizaki
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication14/09/2004
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleVintage International
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Weight270 g
- Width135 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Translated byHoward Hibbett
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.43
- AU $51.53Trending at AU $60.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $22.01Trending at AU $22.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.