All listings for this product
About this product
- Description2011 marked the 400th anniversary of the King James version of the Bible. No other book has been as vital to the development of English writing or indeed to the English language itself. This major collection of essays is the most complete one-volume exploration of the King James Bible and its influence to date. The chapters are written by leading scholars from a range of disciplines, who examine the creation of the King James Bible as a work of translation and as a linguistic and literary accomplishment. They consider how it differed from the Bible versions which preceded it, and assess its broad cultural impact and precise literary influence over the centuries of writing which followed, in English and American literature, until today. The story will fascinate readers who approach the King James Bible from the perspectives of literary, linguistic, religious or cultural history.
- Author BiographyHannibal Hamlin is Associate Professor of English at Ohio State University. He is the author of Psalm Culture and Early Modern Literature (Cambridge University Press, 2004), the co-editor of The Sidney Psalter: The Psalms of Sir Philip and Mary Sidney and has written numerous articles and reviews on Shakespeare, Donne, Milton and Renaissance literature. Norman W. Jones is Associate Professor of English at Ohio State University. He is the author of Gay and Lesbian Historical Fiction: Sexual Mystery and Post-Secular Narrative (2007), and has had essays and reviews published in American Literature, Modern Fiction Studies and Christianity and Literature.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication11/07/2013
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note8 b/w illus.
- Weight510 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byHannibal Hamlin,Norman W. Jones
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.