The King of Sports: Football's Impact on America by Gregg Easterbrook (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.32Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $18.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGregg Easterbrook, author of the wildly popular ESPN.com column Tuesday Morning Quarterback takes on football's place in American society.Gridiron football is the king of sports it's the biggest game in the strongest and richest country in the world. Of the twenty most-watched television broadcasts ever, both in the United States and internationally, all twenty were Super Bowls. In The King of Sports, Easterbrook tells the full story of how football became so deeply ingrained in American culture. Both good and bad, he examines its impact on American society at all levels of the game. The King of Sports explores these and many other topics: * The real harm done by concussions (it's t to NFL players). * The real way in which college football players are exploited (it's t by t being paid). * The way football helps American colleges (it's t bowl revenue) and American cities (it's t Super Bowl wins). * What happens to players who are used up and thrown away (it's t pretty). * The hidden scandal of the NFL (it's worse than you think).Using his year-long exclusive insider access to the Virginia Tech football program, where Frank Beamer has compiled the most victories of any active NFL or major-college head coach while also graduating players, Easterbrook shows how one big university does football right. Then he reports on what's wrong with football at the youth, high school, college and professional levels. Easterbrook holds up examples of coaches and programs who put the athletes first and still win; he presents solutions to these issues and many more, showing a clear path forward for the sport as a whole. Rich with reporting details from interviews with current and former college and pro football players and coaches, The King of Sports promises to be the most provocative and best-read sports book of the year.
- Author BiographyGREGG EASTERBROOK is the author of eight books, including The Leading Indicators, The Progress Paradox, The Here and Now and Sonic Boom. He is a contributing editor of The Atlantic Monthly and The Washington Monthly, and a columnist for ESPN.com. He has been a distinguished fellow of the Fulbright Foundation, a visiting fellow of the Brookings Institution, and a political columnist for Reuters.
- Author(s)Gregg Easterbrook
- PublisherThomas Dunne Books
- Date of Publication24/09/2013
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThomas Dunne Books
- Out-of-print date26/05/2016
- Weight567 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.