All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHenry VIII's reformation remains among the most crucial yet misunderstood events in English history. In this substantial new account G. W. Bernard presents the king as neither confused r a pawn in the hands of manipulative factions. Henry, a monarch who ruled as well as reigned, is revealed instead as the determining mover of religious policy throughout this momentous period. In Henry's campaign to secure a divorce from Catherine of Aragon, which led him to break with Rome, his strategy, as Bernard shows, was more consistent and more radical than historians have allowed. Henry refused to introduce Lutheranism, but rather harnessed the rhetoric of the continental reformation in support of his royal supremacy. Convinced that the church needed urgent reform, in particular the purging of superstition and idolatry, Henry's dissolution of the monasteries and the dismantling of the shrines were much more than a venal attempt to raise money. The king sought a middle way between Rome and Zurich, between Catholicism and its associated superstitions on one hand and the subversive radicalism of the reformers on the other. With a ruthlessness that verged on tyranny, Henry VIII determined the pace of change in the most important twenty years of England's religious development.
- Author BiographyG.W. Bernard is professor of early modern history at the University of Southampton. His books include Power and Politics in Tudor England.
- Author(s)G. W. Bernard
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication17/08/2007
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note12 b&w illustrations
- Weight1157 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine58 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.00Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.