All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRudolf Laban (1879 - 1958) was a pioneer in dance and movement, who found an extraordinary range of application for his ideas; from industry to drama, education and therapy. Laban believed that you can understand about human beings by observing how they move, and devised two complimentary methods of tating the shape and quality of movements. The Laban Sourcebook offers a comprehensive account of Laban's writings. It includes extracts from his five books in English and from his four works in German, written in the 1920s and translated here for the first time. This book draws on archival research in England and Germany to chart the development of Laban's groundbreaking ideas through a variety of documents, including letters, articles, transcripts of interviews, and his unpublished Effort and Recovery. It covers: * The beginning of his career in Germany and Switzerland in the 1910s. * His astonishing rise to fame in Germany in the 1920s as a dance teacher, choreographer and creator of public dance events. * Following his move to England in 1938, the application of his ideas to drama, education, industry, and therapy. Each extract has a short preface providing contextual background, and highlighting and explaining key terms. Passages have been selected and are introduced by many of the world's leading Laban scholars.
- Author BiographyDick McCaw is Senior Lecturer at Royal Holloway, University of London. He co-founded the Medieval Players theatre company in 1981 and he was Artistic Director of the International Workshop Festival from 1993-2001. He trained with Geraldine Stephenson, a former pupil and colleague of Rudolf Laban. He is the co-editor of eight DVD ROMs with Peter Hulton on theatre movement and practice, and is the author of a book on Warren Lamb.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/06/2011
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note9 black & white illustrations, 17 black & white tables, 22 black & white halftones
- Weight544 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDick McCaw
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.