All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis work provides a critical reexamination of the origin and development of America's land-grant colleges and universities, created by the most important piece of legislation in higher education. The story is divided into five parts that provide closer examinations of representative developments. Part I describes the connection between agricultural research and American colleges. Part II shows that the responsibility of defining and implementing the land-grant act fell to the states, which produced a variety of institutions in the nineteenth century. Part III details the first phase of the conflict during the latter decades of the nineteenth century about whether land colleges were intended to be agricultural colleges, or full academic institutions. Part IV focuses on the fact that full-fledged universities became dominant institutions of American higher education. The final part shows that the land-grant mission is alive and well in university colleges of agriculture and, in fact, is inherent to their identity. Including some of the best minds the field has to offer, this volume follows in the fine tradition of past books in Transaction's Perspectives on the History of Higher Education series.
- Author BiographyRoger L. Geiger is Distinguished Professor of Higher Education, Pennsylvania State University, USA and editor of Perspectives on the History of Higher Education. Nathan M. Sorber is assistant professor of educational leadership studies at West Virginia University, USA.
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication15/03/2013
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitlePerspectives on the History of Higher Education
- Series Part/Volume NumberVolume 30
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight546 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byNathan M. Sorber,Roger L. Geiger
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.