All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA New York Times Notable Book of the YearA Time Magazine Top Ten Book of the YearJane Leavy, the acclaimed author of the New York Times bestseller Sandy Koufax: A Lefty's Legacy, returns with a biography of an American original: number 7, Mickey Mantle. Meticulously reported and elegantly written, The Last Boy is a baseball tapestry that weaves together episodes from the author's weekend with the Mick in Atlantic City, where she interviewed her hero in 1983 after he was banned from baseball, with reminiscences from friends and family. It is the story of a boy from Commerce, Oklahoma, who would lead the Yankees to seven world championships, be voted the American League's Most Valuable Player three times, win the Triple Crown in 1956, and duel teammate Roger Maris for Babe Ruth's home run crown in the summer of 1961--a boy who would never grow up. The Last Boy is an uncommon biography, with literary overtones--t only a portrait of an icon but also an investigation of memory itself.
- Author(s)Jane Leavy
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white plates, colour plates
- Weight395 g
- Width136 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.71Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.