All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoliomyelitis, better kwn as polio, thoroughly stumped the medical science community. Polio's impact remained highly visible and sometimes lingered, exacting a priceless physical toll on its young victims and their families as well as transforming their social worlds. This social history of infantile paralysis is plugged into the rich and dynamic developments of the United States during the first half of the twentieth century. Children became epidemic refugees because of anachronistic public health policies and practices. They entered the emerging, clinical world of the hospital, rupturing physical and emotional connections with their parents and siblings. As they underwent rehabilitation, they created ward cultures. They returned home to occasionally find hostile environments and always discover changed relationships due to their disabilities. The changing concept of the child, from an ecomic asset to an emotional commitment, medical advances, and improved sanitation policies led to significant improvements in child health and welfare. This study, relying on published autobiographies, memoirs, and oral histories, captures the impact of this disease on children's personal lives, encompassing public-health policies, hospitalization, philanthropic and organizational responses, physical therapy, family life, and schooling. It captures the anger, frustration, and terror t only among children but parents, neighbors, and medical professionals alike.
- Author BiographyRichard J. Altenbaugh is a Visiting Fellow at St. Edmund s College, University of Cambridge, UK and Professor Emeritus at Slippery Rock University, USA.
- Author(s)Richard J. Altenbaugh
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication15/09/2015
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationBasingstoke
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Notebiography
- Weight619 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.