All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
About this product
- DescriptionThe incredible, moving story of Wiremu Maopo, the last of his line in an eminent South Island family, who joined the second Maori Contingent and went off to fight in the First World War. Wiremu writes regularly to his friend Virgie, and the story of Wiremu's life is woven around 40 letters that he penned during the War. All of Wiremu's siblings died of illness either in childhood or later in life and when he returns from the war ironically he is the only surviving member of the once large family. Wiremu was unaware during and after the war that his girlfriend Phoebe had given birth to a daughter who would carry on his line. The Last Maopo also follows Phoebe's story and reconnects the Maopo line with the author, Wiremu's great-granddaughter.
- Author BiographyTania Simpson (Tainui, Ngapuhi, Ngai Tahu) is CEO of Maori development company Kowhai Consulting, Deputy Chair of Landcare Research New Zealand, and a member of the Waitangi Tribunal. She has a Bachelor of Arts in Maori from Waikato University and a Master Matauranga Maori from Te Wananga o Raukawa. She has written several works of tribal history. Tania lives with her family in Hamilton.
- Author(s)Tania Simpson
- PublisherOratia Media
- Date of Publication10/04/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationAuckland, N.Z.
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintLibro International
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight368 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.