All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- Description14 August 1945. As Emperor Hirohito recorded a message of surrender for the Japanese people, rebel troops commanded by high-ranking officers from War Minister Anami's staff burst into the Imperial palace. Their intention was to stage a coup, destroy the recording and issue forged orders for Japan to continue the war. Had they succeeded, there would have been massive kamikaze attacks on allied forces, causing carnage and possibly provoking America to drop a third atomic bomb on an already devastated Japan...But on that fateful night, in the skies approaching Tokyo, a stream of B-29B 'Superfortress' bombers were heading towards Japan's last functioning oil refinery. Fearing that the approaching planes could be carrying ather atom bomb, Japanese air defences ordered a total black out of the city and the Imperial palace and in so doing completely disrupted the rebels' plans, enabling soldiers loyal to the Emperor to sieze back control. At midday on 15 August 1945, the Imperial message of surrender was broadcast throughout Japan. The Second World War was finally over. THE LAST MISSION is gripping work of speculative investigation into one of the least kwn yet profoundly significant episodes of World War II.
- Author BiographyJim Smith served with the 315th Bomb Wing, 20th Air Force, during the Second World War, when he was a radio operator of a B-29B bomber named The Boomerang. He has researched The Last Mission for more than twenty years. Malcolm McConnell is the author or co-author of twenty-three books, many of them on military subjects. He most recently co-wrote Born to Fly with navy pilot Shane Osborn. He lives near Washington D.C.
- Author(s)Jim Smith,Malcolm McConnell
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication14/07/2003
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBantam Books (Transworld Publishers a division of the Random House Group)
- Content Note8 b&w photos
- Weight302 g
- Width129 mm
- Height199 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.