All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLate in the tenth century, the Norse Vikings embarked on a voyage of return. Leaving Iceland first for Greenland, from there they sailed onwards to North America, setting foot on its shores five hundred years before Columbus' first journeys of discovery. But by about AD 1500 their settlements were abandoned and the Norse Greenlanders and their explorations of the New World receded into the realms of myth. What happened between these momentous events? How did the Vikings really live - and die - and why have so many myths and legends grown up around this mysterious people of the sea? Drawing on her deep kwledge of the culture and history of the region as well as the most up-to-date evidence from archaeology, medieval history and the evocative Sagas, Seaver weaves together a compelling and authoritative history. Alongside their spectacular achievements and discoveries, she also vividly evokes the last Vikings' daily lives and explains why their apparent departure in 1500 was t quite such a dramatic schism in the historical record as is often assumed. This compelling history of a people living at the fringes of the kwn world offers an illuminating entry into the world of the Norse Greenlanders which will captivate all who have ever wondered about the fate of the Vikings and will stand as the definitive work for years to come.
- Author BiographyKirsten A. Seaver is an independent historian who has taught at the University of Stanford. She has also worked as a novelist and a translator and her work has been published extensively in both English and Norwegian. A Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, London, her previous publications include 'Maps, Myths, and Men: The Story of the Vinland Map' and 'The Frozen Echo'.
- Author(s)Kirsten A. Seaver
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/06/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations, map
- Weight640 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.