All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe second book in James Fenimore Cooper's classic Leatherstocking Tales pentalogy and the most popular. The year is 1757 and the French-American War is going strong. There is a massacre at the British Fort William Henry and the two daughters of an officer are kidnapped by Iroquois renegades. The only hope is the last member of a dying tribe, who wants thing more than freedom. Join us for a romantic adventure back in time to a time of racial hostility, betrayal and heroism with Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas, the last of the Mohicans.
- Author BiographyJames Fenimore Cooper was born on September 15, 1789 in Burlington, New Jersey, living most of his life in Cooperstown, New York, which was named after his father. Cooper attended Yale at the age of thirteen, but was expelled in his third year, after a prank involving explosives. At seventeen, he joined the U. S. Navy, which was in its infancy, and became an officer from a warrant signed by Thomas Jefferson himself. In 1811, he married Susan Augusta de Lancey and they had seven children. In 1820, Susan bet James that he would be able to write a novel better than the one she was reading, publishing Precaution anonymously that same year. His next book was The Pioneers in 1823, which began his five book Leatherstocking series. In 1826, the family moved to France, where he continued to write. In 1833, he returned to Cooperstown and restored his family mansion. He became on of the first American authors to include African and Native American characters in his books. He died of edema on September 14, 1851, a day before he turned 62, in Cooperstown.
- Author(s)James Fenimore Cooper
- Date of Publication24/01/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight594 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byRichard S Hartmetz
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $24.93Trending at AU $33.35
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.51Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.