All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRome's oldest kwn Latin inscription dates from the sixth century BC; the most recent major specimen was mounted in 2006-a span of more than two and a half millennia. Remarkably, many of these inscriptions are still to be found in situ, on the walls, gates, temples, obelisks, bridges, fountains, and churches of the city. Classicist Tyler Lansford has collected some 400 of these inscriptions and arranged them-with English translations-into fifteen walking tours that trace the physical and historical contours of the city. Each itinerary is prefaced by an in-depth introduction that provides a survey of the history and topography of the relevant area of the city. The Latin texts appear on the left-hand page with English translations on the right. The original texts are equipped with full linguistic antation, and the translations are supplemented with historical and cultural tes that explain who mounted them and why. This unique guide will prove a fascinating and illuminating companion for both sophisticated visitors to the Eternal City and armchair travelers seeking a vel perspective into Rome's rich history.
- Author BiographyTyler Lansford is an independent scholar and the cofounder of Seattle Language Academy.
- Author(s)Tyler Lansford
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication04/09/2009
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note32, 15 black & white illustrations, 16 maps, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight703 g
- Width152 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $15.09New
- AU $12.63New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $44.97
- AU $33.40Trending at AU $44.10
- AU $40.57Trending at AU $41.94
- AU $20.91Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $32.88
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.64
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.