All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the past decade, racial/ethnic mirity women have made significant strides in U.S. politics, comprising large portions of their respective mirity delegations both in Congress and in state legislatures. This trend has been particularly evident in the growing political presence of Latinas, yet scholars have offered clear explanations for this electoral phemen-until w. In The Latina Advantage, Christina E. Bejara draws on national public opinion datasets and a close examination of state legislative candidates in Texas and California to demonstrate the new power of the political intersection between race and gender. Underscoring the fact that racial/ethnic mirity women form a greater share of mirity representatives than do white women among white elected officials, Bejara provides empirical evidence to substantiate previous theoretical predictions of the strategic advantage in the intersectionality of gender and ethnicity in Latinas. Her evidence indicates that two factors provide the basis for the advantage: increasingly qualified candidates and the softening of perceived racial threat, leading mirity female candidates to encounter fewer disadvantages than their male counterparts. Overturning the findings of classic literature that reinforce stereotypes and describe mirity female political candidates as being at a compounded electoral disadvantage, Bejara brings a crucial new perspective to dialogues about the rapidly shifting face of America's electorate.
- Author BiographyChristina E. Bejarano is Associate Professor of Political Science at the University of Kansas. Her research on Latina/o political candidates and voters has appeared in numerous political science publications.
- Author(s)Christina E. Bejarano
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/09/2013
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note9 charts/graphs, 47 tables
- Weight459 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine509 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.