The Law Is Not a Curse: Paul's Midrash in Galations by Anne Kimball Davis, Dr Anne Kimball Davis (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.41Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $45.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn in-depth study of Galations recovers the ancient worldview and its use of language. Enter the first century world of Israel by listening to the text as the earliest Christians would have heard it. Through linguistic analysis you will feel the rhythm and hear frequent repetitions, strange insertions, chiastic structures and startling patterns that lead to depth of meaning. Paul was a Jew who knew the scrolls of the Old Testament intimately, which were the only Holy Writings at the time since the New Testament had t yet been written. You will learn to recognize Paul's allusions to the Hebrew Scriptures as well as perceiving clear citations. Then, since Jews of the first century did t learn from books as we do today but internalized the Holy Writings by memorizing entire passages, you will spend time in the Hebrew Scriptures before returning to the New Testament. You will come to realize how intimately connected the two testaments really are. Paul's midrash occurs in Galatians 3:6-13 with a powerful conclusion in verse 14. If we fail to understand the mechanics of the midrash, our literal reading will fall short of capturing Paul's powerful message, and may even lead to such misinterpretations as the law is a curse to Israel. A workbook accompanies the book for an additional cost, which is designed for group study. With each chapter you will learn and practice a new skill that leads to depth of understanding the biblical text. Provocative discussion topics penetrate the Hebraic nature of the New Testament, and thoughtful questions stimulate opportunities for life application.
- Author BiographyDr. Anne Davis is a professor of Biblical Studies at Trinity Southwest University and Executive Director of BibleInteract, Inc. Articles include Allegorically Speaking in Galatians 4:31-5:1, Bulletin for Biblical Research 14/2 (2004): 161-174, and Israel's Inheritance: Birthright of the Firstborn Son, Chafer Seminary Journal 13/1 (2008): 79-94. Papers presented to the Society of Biblical Literature include Divorce and the New Testament: Midrash in Matthew 19:3-12 and Expansion and Selection: Paul's Method of Midrash in Romans 9:6-13. Media Productions for BibleInteract Presents, a televised program on God's Learning Channel, include Hebraic Roots of the New Testament, The Language of Prophecy, and The Remnant and Israel's Inheritance. Media Productions for http: //BibleInteract.tv employ critical analysis to consider such troubling topics as Who Will be Saved and Total Depravity.
- Author(s)Anne Kimball Davis,Dr Anne Kimball Davis
- Date of Publication05/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.