All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLaw and society scholars challenge the common belief that law is simply a neutral tool by which society sets standards and resolves disputes. Decades of research shows how much the nature of communities, organizations, and the people inhabiting them affect how law works. Just as much, law shapes beliefs, behaviors, and wider social structures, but the connections are much more nuanced-and surprising-than many expect. Law and Society Reader II provides readers an accessible overview to the breadth of recent developments in this research tradition, bringing to life the developments in this dynamic field. Following up a first Law and Society Reader published in 1995, editors Erik W. Larson and Patrick D. Schmidt have compiled excerpts of 43 illuminating articles published since 1993 in The Law & Society Review, the flagship journal of the Law and Society Association. By its organization and approach, this volume enables readers to join in discussing the key ideas of law and society research. The selections highlight the core insights and developments in this research tradition, making these works indispensable for those exploring the field and ideal for classroom use. Across six concisely-introduced sections, this volume analyzes inequality, lawyering, the relation between law and organizations, and the place of law in relation to other social institutions.
- Author BiographyErik Larson is Associate Professor and Chair of Sociology and Co-Director of Legal Studies at Macalester College. Patrick Schmidt is Professor of Political Science and Co-Director of Legal Studies at Macalester College. He is the author of Lawyers and Regulation: The Politics of the Administrative Process, Conducting Law and Society Research: Reflections on Methods and Practices (with Simon Halliday), and the editor of Human Rights Brought Home: Socio-Legal Studies of Human Rights in the National Context (with Simon Halliday).
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication09/05/2014
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, figures
- Weight984 g
- Width4531 mm
- Height5193 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byErik W. Larson,Patrick D. Schmidt
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.