All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Learned Banqueters , Athenaeus describes a series of dinner parties at which the guests quote extensively from Greek literature. The work (which dates to the very end of the second century CE) is amusing reading and of extraordinary value as a treasury of quotations from works w lost. Athenaeus also preserves a wide range of information about different cuisines and foodstuffs, the music and entertainments that ornamented banquets, and the intellectual talk that was the heart of Greek conviviality. S. Douglas Olson has undertaken to produce a complete new edition of the work, replacing the previous Loeb Athenaeus (published under the title Deipsophists ).
- Author BiographyS. Douglas Olson is Distinguished McKnight University Professor of Classical and Near Eastern Studies, University of Minnesota.
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication04/01/2011
- LanguageEnglish & Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
- Series TitleLoeb Classical Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 345
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLoeb Classical Library
- Weight318 g
- Width108 mm
- Height162 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.