All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe accomplishments and enduring influence of rewned anthropologist Dell Hymes are showcased in these essays by leading practitioners in the field. Hymes (1927-2009) is arguably best kwn for his pioneering work in ethpoetics, a studied approach to Native verbal art that elucidates cultural significance and aesthetic form. As these essays amply demonstrate, nearly six decades later ethpoetics and Hymes's focus on narrative inequality and voice provide a still valuable critical lens for current research in anthropology and folklore. Through ethpoetics, so much can be understood in diverse cultural settings and situations: gleaning the voices of individual Koryak storytellers and aesthetic sensibilities from century-old wax cylinder recordings; understanding the similarities and differences between Apache life stories told 58 years apart; how Navajo punning and an expressive device illuminate the work of a Navajo poet; decolonizing Western Mo and Yokuts stories by bringing to the surface the performances behind the texts written down by scholars long ago; and keenly appreciating the potency of language revitalization projects among First Nations communities in the Yukon and rthwestern California. Fascinating and topical, these essays t only hor a legacy but also point the way forward.
- Author BiographyPaul V. Kroskrity is Professor of Anthropology and Chair of American Indian Studies at UCLA, where he has taught since earning his PhD in anthropology from Indiana University in 1978. He has authored numerous works including Regimes of Language and Telling Stories in the Face of Danger. Anthony K. Webster is Associate Professor of Anthropology at the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of Explorations in Navajo Poetry and Poetics as well as numerous articles on Navajo poetry, language, and culture.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication25/09/2015
- Series TitleEncounters: Explorations in Folklore and Ethnomusicology
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note4 b&w illus.
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byAnthony K. Webster,Paul V. Kroskrity
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.