All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSima Qian (first century BCE), the author of Record of the Historian (Shiji), is Chinas earliest and best-kwn historian, and his Letter to Ren An is the most famous letter in Chinese history. In the letter, Sima Qian explains his decision to finish his lifes work, the first comprehensive history of China, instead of horably committing suicide following his castration for deceiving the emperor. In the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, some scholars have queried the authenticity of the letter. Is it a genuine piece of writing by Sima Qian or an early work of literary impersonation? The Letter to Ren An and Sima Qians Legacy provides a full translation of the letter and uses different methods to explore issues in textual history. It also shows how ideas about friendship, loyalty, factionalism, and authorship encoded in the letter have far-reaching implications for the study of China.
- Author BiographyStephen Durrant is professor of Chinese language and literature at the University of Oregon; Wai-yee Li is professor of Chinese literature at Harvard University; Michael Nylan is professor of history at University of California, Berkeley; and Hans van Ess is professor of sinology at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen.
- Author(s)Hans van Ess,Michael Nylan,Stephen Durrant,Wai-yee Li
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication09/03/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note7 recorded music items, 1 black & white tables, 7 charts, 1 table
- Weight454 g
- Width160 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.