The Letters of George Santayana: Bk. 4: 1928-1932 by George Santayana (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $88.71Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGeorge Santayana published The Realm of Matter (1930) and The Genteel Tradition at Bay (1931). He continued work on Book Three of Realms of Being, The Realm of Truth, and on his vel, The Last Puritan. Citing his commitment to his writing and his intention to retire from academia, he declined offers from Harvard University for the Norton Chair of Poetry and for a position as William James Professor of Philosophy, as well as offers for positions at the New School for Social Research and Brown University. The deaths of his half sisters, Susan Sturgis de Sastre and Josephine Sturgis, in 1928 and 1930, respectively, were extremely distressing to him. Santayana and Charles Strong continued their epistolary debate over the nature and perception of reality and the problem of kwledge. The book also includes letters to Robert Bridges, Cyril Clemens, Morris R. Cohen, Curt John Ducasse, Sydney Hook, Horace Meyer Kallen, Walter Lippmann, Ralph Barton Perry, William Lyon Phelps, and Herbert W. Schneider. Santayana sent many letters with articles and reviews to journalists Wendell T. Bush, Henry Seidel Canby, Wilbur Cross, and John Middleton Murry. Discussion of his vel and continuing work on Realms of Being took place with Otto Kyllmann and John Hall Wheelock, his editors at Constable and Scribner's. Although Santayana w made the Hotel Bristol in Rome his permanent residence, he continued to travel in England, France, and Italy.
- Author BiographyGeorge Santayana (1863--1952) was a philosopher, poet, critic, and novelist. He is the author of The Last Puritan (MIT Press) and many other works. The MIT Press has published The Letters of George Santayana in eight books and the five books of The Life of Reason. William G. Holzberger is Professor of English Emeritus at Bucknell University. Herman J. Saatkamp, Jr., is Head of the Department of Philosophy and Humanities at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)George Santayana
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication25/02/2003
- Series TitleThe Works of George Santayana
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 5
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note1
- Weight926 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byHerman J. Saatkamp,William G. Holzberger
- Introduction byWilliam G. Holzberger
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.