All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the time they first met as undergraduates at Columbia College in New York City in the mid-1930s, the ted editor Robert Giroux (1914-2008) and the Trappist monk and writer Thomas Merton (1915-1968) became friends. The Letters of Robert Giroux and Thomas Merton capture their personal and professional relationship, extending from the time of the publication of Merton's 1948 bestselling spiritual autobiography, The Seven Storey Mountain, until a few months before Merton's untimely death in December 1968. As editor in- chief at Harcourt, Brace & Company and then at Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Giroux t only edited twenty-six of Merton's books but served as an adviser to Merton as he dealt with unexpected problems with his religious superiors at the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani in Kentucky, as well as those in France and Italy. These letters, arranged chrologically, offer invaluable insights into the publishing process that brought some of Merton's most important writings to his readers. Patrick Samway, S.J., had unparalleled access t only to the materials assembled here but to Giroux's unpublished talks about Merton, which he uses to his advantage, especially in his beautifully crafted introduction that interweaves the stories of both men with a chronicle of their personal and collaborative relationship. The result is a rich and rewarding volume, which shows how Giroux helped Merton to become one of the greatest spiritual writers of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyPatrick Samway, S.J., professor emeritus of English at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia, is the author or editor/co-editor of twelve books, including educating Darfur Refugees: A jesuit's Efforts in Chad (University of Chicago Press, 2008), Walker Percy: A Life (Farrar Straus & Giroux, 1997), selected by the New York Times Book Review as one of the notable books of 1997;A Thief of Pierce: The Letters Of Kenneth Laine Ketner and Walker Percy, edited by Patrick Samway (University Press of Mississippi, 1995); and Signposts in a Strange Land by Walker Percy, edited by Patrick Samway (Farrar Straus & Giroux, 1991).
- PublisherUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNotre Dame IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Notre Dame Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byPatrick Samway
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.