Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $9.10+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the 2013 granta best young british velist. A visceral retelling of the events surrounding the life of Jesus . (Hilary Mantel, Guardian, Books of the Year). 'He was a traitor, a rabble-leader, a rebel, a liar and a pretender to the throne. We have tried to forget him here.' Now, a year after Yehoshuah's death, four people tell their stories. His mother flashes between grief and rage while trouble brews between her village and the occupying soldiers. Iehuda, who was once Yehoshuah's friend, recalls how he came to lose his faith and find a place among the Romans. Caiaphas, the High Priest at the great Temple in Jerusalem, tries to hold the peace between Rome and Judea. Bar-Avo, a rebel, strives to bring that peace tumbling down. Viscerally powerful in its depictions of the realities of the period: massacres and riots, animal sacrifice and human betrayal, The Liars' Gospel finds echoes of the present in the past. It was a time of political power-play and brutal tyranny and occupation. Young men and women took to the streets to protest. Dictators put them down with iron force. Rumours spread from mouth to mouth. Rebels attacked the greatest Empire the world has ever kwn. The Empire gathered its forces to make those rebels pay. And in the midst of all of that, one inconsequential preacher died. And either something miraculous happened, or someone lied. Praise for The Liars' Gospel: Ambitious, genius . (Tom Holland, Guardian). Remarkable ...paints the sweep of history through the sharp pain of human love and loss . (Observer). Succeeds magnificently, superb, brilliant. A provocative and mesmerizing vel . (New Statesman). Naomi Alderman grew up in the Orthodox Jewish community in rthwest London. Her first vel, Disobedience, was published in 10 languages and won the Orange Award for New Writers and the Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year prize. Like her second vel, The Lessons, it was broadcast as Radio 4's Book at Bedtime. She is a frequent radio broadcaster and a regular contributor to the Guardian and Prospect. She lives in London.
- Author BiographyNaomi Alderman is the author of four novels. In 2006 she won the Orange Award for New Writers and in 2007 she was named Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year, as well as being selected as one of Waterstones' 25 Writers for the Future. All of her novels have been broadcast on BBC Radio 4's Book at Bedtime. In 2013 she was selected for the prestigious Granta Best of Young British Writers. She lives in London.
- Author(s)Naomi Alderman
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/04/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight254 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.69New
- AU $30.94New
- AU $16.35New
- AU $12.77Used
- AU $79.12New
- AU $18.65New
- AU $109.14New
- AU $22.33New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.68
- AU $24.99Trending at AU $30.94
- AU $76.70Trending at AU $79.12
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.41
- AU $74.56Trending at AU $82.96
- AU $10.58Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $17.98Trending at AU $20.83
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.