The Life and Times of Mickey Rooney by William J. Birnes, Richard A. Lertzman (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.32Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA definitive biography of the iconic actor and Hollywood legend Mickey Rooney (1920-2014) and his extravagant, sometimes tawdry life, drawing on never-before-seen excerpts from Rooney's diary and exclusive interviews with Mickey, and with those who knew him best, including his heretofore unkwn mistress of sixty years. I lived like a rock star, said Mickey Rooney. I had all I ever wanted, from Lana Turner and Joan Crawford to every starlet in Hollywood, and then some. They were mine to have. Ava [Gardner] was the best. I screwed up my life. I pissed away millions. I was #1, the biggest star in the world. Mickey Rooney began his career almost a century ago as a one-year-old performer in burlesque and stamped his mark in vaudeville, silent films, talking films, Broadway, and television. He acted in his final motion picture just weeks before he died at age ninety-three. He was an iconic presence in movies, the poster boy for American youth in the idyllic small-town 1930s. Yet, by World War II, Mickey Rooney had become frozen in time. A perpetual teenager in an aging body, he was an anachronism by the time he hit his forties. His child-star status haunted him as the gilded safety net of Hollywood fell away, and he was forced to find support anywhere he could, including affairs with beautiful women, multiple marriages, alcohol, and drugs. Authors Richard A. Lertzman and William J. Birnes present Mickey's nearly century-long career within the context of America's changing entertainment and social landscape. In addition to material from Mickey's own diary, they chronicle his life story using little-kwn interviews with the star himself, his children, his former coauthor Roger Kahn, collaborator Arthur Marx, and costar Margaret O'Brien. This Old Hollywood biography presents Mickey Rooney from every angle, revealing the man Laurence Olivier once dubbed the best there has ever been.
- Author BiographyRichard A. Lertzman and William J. Birnes coauthored Dr. Feelgood, which garnered wide publicity in the United States, has been excerpted for second serial in the UK, and was translated into German. Lertzman is the former editor and publisher of Screen Scene magazine. Birnes, a New York Times bestselling author, has written more than forty books; produced, hosted, and written the History channel television series UFO Hunters; was a National Endowment for the Humanities Fellow; and now hosts his own radio show, Future Theater on the Dark Matter Radio Network.
- Author(s)Richard A. Lertzman,William J. Birnes
- PublisherSimon & Schuster
- Date of Publication22/10/2015
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSimon & Schuster
- Content Note2 16-pg 4C photo inserts
- Weight850 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine43 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.