Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
About this product
- DescriptionThe result of many years careful and painstaking research, the author has pieced together the life of her godfather Alfred Bestall, who illustrated Rupert Bear in the Daily Express almost uninterruptedly for 30 years. The artwork was bequeathed by Fred Bestall to the author with the words - 'you will probably want to make a bonfire of this' - which would have been a tragedy. Caroline Bott has lovingly collected together and catalogued Fred Bestall's work, which ranges from incisive cartoons for 'Punch' to romantic, dreamy watercolours, as well of course as his Rupert Bear illustrations. Caroline was also bequeathed his diaries, from which, alongside letters, photographs and other archive material, she has drawn together his life. What emerges is a gentle, very generous man, who was loved by all who met him. His diaries include his experiences in the First World War, and his travel diaries include remarkable journeys to Egypt as well as those of his beloved Wales. His fans are as diverse as Sir Paul McCartney (who has written the foreword), Prince Charles, Terry Jones, Terence Stamp, Richard Rogers and Sir Hugh Casson. A piece of pure stalgia and a slice of time gone by that will enchant all those who pick it up.
- Author BiographyCaroline Bott is Fred Bestall's god-daughter. She has spent many years researching the life of Fred Bestall, and this is her first book for Bloomsbury. She lives with her husband in Milford, Surrey, where they have a permanent exhibition of Fred Bestall's artwork (by telephone appointment only).
- Author(s)Caroline Bott
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication06/11/2010
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Out-of-print date19/09/2016
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition Statement90th Anniversary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.