All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a teenager, Manuel Chavez (1910-1996) left his native New Mexico for over a decade of study at the St. Francis Seraphic Seminary in Cincinnati, Ohio, and other midwestern institutions. Included in his curriculum was an introduction to literature and the arts that piqued an interest that would follow him the remainder of his life. Upon returning to New Mexico, he was ordained Fray Angelico Chavez and would become one of New Mexico's most important twentieth-century writers. In The Life and Writing of Fray Angelico Chavez , Ellen McCracken provides a literary biography that includes a deep look into the intellectual and cultural contributions of this Renaissance man. McCracken moves chrologically through a substantial body of work that includes fiction, poetry, plays, essays, spiritual tracts, sermons, historical writing, translation, painting, church revation, and journalism. From the prolific creativity of the years of his first assignment in Pena Blanca to the decades he spent researching Hispa genealogy in New Mexico, McCracken traces Chavez's complex and changing identity as an ethnic American and religious subject who was also an historian, artist, creative writer, and preservationist. The year 2010 will mark the centenary of Fray Angelico Chavez's birth and this volume will serve as a fitting tribute.
- Author BiographyEllen McCracken is professor of Spanish and comparative Latino/a literature at the University of California, Santa Barbara. McCracken is the editor of Fray Angelico Chavez: Poet, Priest, and Artist (UNMP), and author of New Latina Narrative: The Feminine Space of Postmodern Ethnicity and Decoding Women's Magazines: From Mademoiselle to Ms.
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2010
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Content Note48 halftones
- Weight907 g
- Width228 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine41 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.