All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis authoritative biography of Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) was a landmark in its meticulous research and use of source material. For the American author Alexander Wheelock Thayer (1817-97), it represented a lifelong labour of love, yet it remained unfinished at his death. His friend Hermann Deiters (1833-1907) edited and translated Thayer's work into German, publishing three volumes which covered Beethoven's life to 1816. Since Deiters also died before the biography could be completed, musicologist Hugo Riemann (1849-1919) was called upon to conclude the work. The final German volumes appeared in 1907 and 1908. It was the American critic Henry Edward Krehbiel (1854-1923) who prepared the present work, the first and considerably revised English version, published in three volumes in 1921. Volume 1 covers Beethoven's career up to 1802, Volume 2 covers the period 1803-18, and Volume 3 addresses Beethoven's final years, his ninth symphony and late quartets.
- Author(s)Alexander Wheelock Thayer,Hermann Deiters,Hugo Riemann
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- FormatMultiple copy pack
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Music
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note4 b/w illus.
- Weight2080 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine66 mm
- Contained items statementContains 3 Paperbacks
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.