All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSix years after the death of Napoleon, Sir Walter Scott wrote the first, hugely successful biography of his contemporary Napoleon that riveted Britain and the continent. It led to him being challenged to duels by former Napoleon generals. Originally covering over a million words, this edited edition gathers what is most interesting for the modern reader. Scott's thundering assault on Napoleon, inspired eminent writers such as Carlyle and Macaulay to engage with history and is a rare contemporaneous assessment that remains as fresh as it was then. Written before the advent of the nation state. Scott's travel narrative through post-Napoleonic Europe also provides a lost snapshot of a Europe that was still a patchwork of different local cultures and customs centred on cities and regions.
- Author BiographyRichard Michaelis wrote his doctorate on Napoleonic studies at the University of Oxford (Hertford College) and has taught and lectured in European and British history for nearly twenty years. He runs an annual seminar for Princeton University at Hertford College, Oxford.
- Author(s)Sir Walter Scott
- PublisherGibson Square Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGibson Square Books Ltd
- Edited byRichard Michaelis
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.