All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMorley's authorised biography of Gladstone (1809-1898) was published in 1903, and is a landmark of political biography. Four times Liberal Prime Minister between 1868 and 1894, Gladstone had left an ermous archive of letters, papers and diaries, which Morley (1838-1923), himself a ted Liberal politician and writer, spent five years distilling into three volumes. Although many other biographies and editions have since been published, Morley's work is still valuable for his use of primary sources, especially for the earlier part of Gladstone's career. Morley avoids overt party bias, but is understandably discreet in his treatment of more recent political events. He also igres more private aspects of his subject's life and, as an agstic, did t empathise with Gladstone's strong religious convictions. Volume 3 covers the period from 1880 to Gladstone's death in 1898, including the Sudan crisis, and the fierce debates over Irish Home Rule.
- Author(s)John Morley
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication10/03/2011
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - British and Irish History, 19th Century
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note2 b/w illus.
- Weight840 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.