All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThese new poems by Martha Kapos represent an act of reclamation or capture: an attempt to retrieve someone whose loss has been experienced through illness and finally death. Taking as an epigraph a line from Richard Wilbur ' - a thing is most itself when likened' Kapos discovers various viewpoints from which to try to see the thing 'being most itself'. Most often the viewpoints are visual ones - making use of the phemen of perspective with its effects of hiddenness, distance or diminution. In every case metaphor is the guiding principle in these poems, which address how a figure is brought back to life through a process whose essence is poetic. The Likeness is a sustained elegy, an unfolding study in psychology and visual observation, and an example of the animating power of metaphor to reshape loss into presence.
- Author BiographyMartha Kapos is an American poet transplanted in London. Her background was in the visual arts: training as a painter at the Chelsea School of Art, and subsequently teaching there in the History of Art Department until her retirement in 2000. Since then she has been Assistant Poetry Editor at Poetry London. My Nights in Cupid's Palace (Enitharmon, 2003) was a PBS Special Commendation and won the Aldeburgh First Collection Prize, and her second, Supreme Being (Enitharmon, 2008), was a PBS Recommendation.
- Author(s)Martha Kapos
- PublisherEnitharmon Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEnitharmon Press
- Weight86 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.