All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Liminal Worker examines the experience of work, employment, employment insecurity and precariousness in a context of high unemployment and welfare state crisis in modern Greece. A theoretically-informed, anthropological exploration of the tion of work in contemporary western society and its relation to processes of political decision making, this book challenges the mainstream conception of work as an ecomic or purely productive activity, presenting a comparative analysis of work as a social phemen. Drawing on original empirical research, it explores the key themes of the transformation, experience, meaning and narrative of work and its relation to attendant social policies. A unique examination of the complicated experience of work and labour relations within power systems, institutions and organisations, as well as the reactions and survival strategies of ordinary actors facing precariousness in their daily existence, The Liminal Worker elaborates upon the tion of the anthropology of work and investigates the connection between ethgraphic data (and its critical analysis) and the formation of policy. As such, it will be of interest to anthropologists, sociologists, policy makers and geographers concerned with questions of work, labour relations and policy formation.
- Author BiographyManos Spyridakis is Assistant Professor of the Social Anthropology of Labour Relations in the Department of Social and Educational Policy at the University of the Peloponnese, Greece.
- Author(s)Manos Spyridakis
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/11/2013
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleUrban Anthropology
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight652 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Series Edited byItalo Pardo,Dr. Giuliana B. Prato
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.