The Limits of Moral Obligation: Moral Demandingness and Ought Implies Can by Taylor & Francis Ltd (Hardback, 2015)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume responds to the growing interest in finding explanations for why moral claims may lose their validity based on what they ask of their addressees. Two main ideas relate to that question: the moral demandingness objection and the principle ought implies can. Though both of these ideas can be understood to provide an answer to the same question, they have usually been discussed separately in the philosophical literature. The aim of this collection is to provide a focused and comprehensive discussion of these two ideas and the ways in which they relate to one ather, and to take a closer look at the consequences for the limits of moral rmativity in general. Chapters engage with contemporary discussions surrounding ought implies can as well as current debates on moral demandingness, and argue that applying the moral demandingness objection to the entire range of rmative ethical theories also calls for an analysis of its (metaethical) presuppositions. The contributions to this volume are at the leading edge of ethical theory, and have implications for moral theorists, philosophers of action, and those working in metaethics, theoretical ethics and applied ethics.
- Author BiographyMarcel van Ackeren is Associate Professor for Philosophy and research fellow at the Centre for Advanced Study in Bioethics at the University of Munster, Germany. Michael Kuhler is Associate Professor for Philosophy and research fellow at the Centre for Advanced Study in Bioethics at the University of Munster, Germany.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/09/2015
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Ethics and Moral Theory
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byMarcel van Ackeren,Michael Kuhler
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.