Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.55Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume of important essays from recent Society of Biblical Literature annual meetings covers two related and vital topics-linguistic pedagogy and linguistic analysis. The essays on pedagogy discuss current trends and perspectives on how to approach the teaching of a dead language in the vibrancy of the electronic age. Experienced teacher-scholars give insights into how they draw upon linguistic theory and marshal techlogy to help reinforce pedagogical technique. A second set of essays is concerned with the linguistic issue of 'prominence', asking, How are texts able to show that certain portions are more important than others? The essays, both theoretical and practical, grapple with the linguistic equivalent of underlining, to show how prominence helps authors make their point. The book of Hebrews, where identifying major themes and ideas have proved problematic, is offered as an extended example. The volume is rounded off with a collection of papers applying the insights of modern linguistics, and particularly sociolinguistics and discourse analysis, to reading the New Testament in new and provocative ways that transcend traditional exegesis.
- Author BiographyStanley E. Porter is President and Dean at McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, Ontario. Matthew Brook O'Donnell is Director of Research and Development for OpenText.org, an initiative to develop XML-based tools and resources for linguistic analysis, and Adjunct Professor at McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, Ontario.
- PublisherSheffield Phoenix Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2009
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleNew Testament Monographs
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 11
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSheffield Phoenix Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight545 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byMatthew Brook O'Donnell,Stanley E. Porter
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.