All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn American history and throughout the Western world, the subjugation perpetuated by slavery has created a unique 'culture of slavery'. That culture exists as a metaphorical, artistic and literary tradition attached to the enslaved - human beings whose lives are 'owed' to ather, who are used as instruments by ather and who must endure suffering in silence. Tim Armstrong explores the metaphorical legacy of slavery in American culture by investigating debt, techlogy and pain in African-American literature and a range of other writings and artworks. Armstrong's careful analysis reveals how tions of the slave as a debtor lie hidden in our accounts of the commodified self and how writers like Nathaniel Hawthorne, Rebecca Harding Davis, Booker T. Washington, W. E. B. Du Bois, Ralph Ellison and Toni Morrison grapple with the pervasive view that slaves are akin to machines.
- Author BiographyTim Armstrong is Professor of Modern English and American Literature at Royal Holloway, University of London. He previously taught at University College London, University College Cork and the University of Sheffield. He is author of Modernism, Technology and the Body: A Cultural Study (1998), Haunted Hardy: Poetry, History, Memory (2000) and Modernism: A Cultural History (2005). He is editor of American Bodies (1996) and Thomas Hardy: Selected Poems (1993, 2009), and co-editor of Beyond the Pleasure Dome: Writing and Addiction from the Romantics (1994).
- PrizesWinner of Society for the Study of Southern Literature Holman Award 2013 and Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2013.
- Author(s)Tim Armstrong
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 b/w illus.
- Weight560 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.