All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this informed and balanced treatment of recent French history, Julius Friend analyzes the changes, successes, and failures in the long and checkered record of former French president Francois Mitterrand. Extensive interviews with French politicians and intellectuals complement Friend's original research.Mitterrand was in office for fourteen years, longer than any other democratically elected president of France, but Friend asks us to consider the legacy of such a tenure. Elected in 1981 on a platform of radical reorganization of the French ecomy and society, Mitterrand was compelled to reverse policy within two years. Conventional austerity replaced socialist measures. His second term was spotted by scandal and he was weakened by illness. The Mitterrand era ended with a conservative victory that confirmed an earlier Socialist parliamentary defeat. In 1997 Mitterrrand heirs who reject part of his legacy returned to power.
- Author BiographyJulius W. Friend is professorial lecturer in European history at George Washington University.
- Author(s)Julius W. Friend
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication14/10/1997
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationBoulder, CO
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestview Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight425 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.