All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis family history tells the story of three generations of illustrious Texans whose progenitor, a Pennsylvania butcher-turned-lumberman named Henry Jacob Lutcher, came to East Texas in 1877 in search of new timber sources. In Orange, Texas, he established the Lutcher Moore Lumber Company, at one time the largest lumber company in the nation, and made a substantial fortune. His spouse, Frances Ann, became a ted philanthropist, building a church and a hospital in Orange. Their older daughter, Miriam, married the capitalist William Henry Stark, who expanded and diversified the family enterprises. Miriam became a ted rare book collector, eventually donating her collection to the University of Texas. The Starks' son, H. J. Lutcher Stark, was a major philanthropist who benefited countless charities in his home region and at the University of Texas, serving for almost twenty-four years on its Board of Regents. With his wife, he created the Nelda C. and H. J. Lutcher Stark Foundation, where the legacy of the Lutcher and Stark families lives on. This history places the families within the context of their times, divesting them of myth and presenting them factually as the exceptional people they were. It represents the first in-depth treatment of the wealth of primary material in the Stark Foundation's archives, never before publicly available. It presents a part of Texas that is distinct in culture, history, and terrain while offering an intriguing saga of the lives and vicissitudes of this extraordinary family.
- Author BiographyEllen Walker Rienstra is a contract historian and author for the Nelda C. and H. J. Lutcher Stark Foundation. She has coauthored several books, including A Pride of Kin and Giant Under the Hill: A History of the Spindletop Oil Discovery at Beaumont, Texas, in 1901. Jo Ann Stiles taught in Lamar University's history department for over three decades before retiring as an associate professor emeritus. She has worked as an independent author and researcher on Giant Under the Hill and other projects.
- Author(s)Ellen Walker Rienstra,Jo Ann Stiles
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication20/09/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Weight1049 g
- Width163 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine1145 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.