All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the world seemingly gets smaller and smaller, schools around the globe are focusing their attention on expanding the consciousness and competencies of their students to prepare them for the conditions of globalization. Global citizenship education is rapidly growing in popularity because it captures the longings of so many-to help make a world of prosperity, universal benevolence, and human rights in the midst of globalization's varied processes of change. This book offers an empirical account from the perspective of teachers and classrooms, based on a qualitative study of ten secondary schools in the United States and Asia that explicitly focus on making global citizens. Global citizenship in these schools has two main elements, both global competencies (ecomic skills) and global consciousness (ethical orientations) that proponents hope will bring global prosperity and peace. However, many of the moral assumptions of global citizenship education are more complex and contradict these goals, and are just as likely to have the unintended consequence of reinforcing a more particular Western individualism. While t arguing against global citizenship education per se, the book argues that in its current forms it has significant limits that proponents have t yet ackwledged, which may very well undermine it in the long run.
- Author BiographyJeffrey S. Dill is Research Assistant Professor of Social Thought in the Templeton Honors College at Eastern University in St. Davids, PA.
- Author(s)Jeffrey S. Dill
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 1 black & white halftones, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight367 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.60New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.25Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.