All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor many of us the history of Africa is, at best, vague. We might think of Egyptian pyramids, legendary queens (of Sheba or Cleopatra) and Zulu warriors. The truth, however, is one of remarkably diverse, creative, culturally rich civilisations. In this book, which accompanies an 8-part BBC series, Gus Casely-Hayford takes us on a fascinating journey through the history of this remarkable continent. We will encounter archaeological sites of staggering beauty that rival the Great Wall of China, vast and ancient universities that predate Oxford and Cambridge, kingdoms of extraordinary wealth, artistic traditions that still inspire artists today, great religious sites that surpass the Vatican, and a country with more pyramids than Egypt. In recent years new archaeological and anthropological research has opened up the study of African history in ways previously unimaginable. Long-lost kingdoms are suddenly being brought back to life. Civilisations that had faded into myth are revealing their secrets. Using this latest research, Gus Casely-Hayford is able to tell the history of Africa's major kingdoms in an entirely new, colourful and richly-informed way. Accessible and inspiring, The Lost Kingdoms of Africa is both a major addition to our understanding of this oft-overlooked history and a source of genuine delight and wonder.
- Author BiographyGus Casely-Hayford is a Curator and cultural historian and has previously held the post of Executive Director, Arts Strategy, for the Arts Council England. He has directed and produced arts programmes for the BBC and Channel 4 and is a member of Tate Britain's Council and a Clore Fellow. Gus has lectured at the Royal College of Art, Sotheby's Institute of Art and Goldsmiths College. He gained a PhD in African History from the School of Oriental and African Studies, London University.
- Author(s)Gus Casely-Hayford
- PublisherTransworld Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication16/02/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBantam Press
- Weight545 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.