All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAugustus' Memoirs , written probably in the mid 20s BC, might have been one of the most revealing texts of Roman history - had they survived. Far longer than his surviving Res Gestae, the Memoirs seem to date from a period at which the wounds of Rome's civil wars were fresh, and the emperor's partisan past might be recalled with discomfort. Existing fragments and testimonia have suggested that the work was apologetic in purpose. In this, the first ever comprehensive study of the subject, a cast of internationally-respected scholars reconstruct aspects of the work, its importance for historians, and its relation to Roman literary genre. This book also contains, by kind permission of Oxford University Press, the fragments and testimonia of the Memoirs as they will appear, newly edited by Christopher Smith, in The Fragmentary Roman Historians .
- Author BiographyChristopher Smith is Professor of Ancient History at the University of St.Andrews, and an editor of The Fragmentary Roman Historians (OUP, forthcoming). Anton Powell is Director of the University of Wales Institute of Classics & Ancient History, and author of Virgil the Partisan (2008).
- PublisherClassical Press of Wales
- Date of Publication12/12/2008
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationSwansea
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClassical Press of Wales
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight558 g
- Width157 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAnton Powell,Christopher B. R. Smith
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.