All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn The Lost Upland, W. S. Merwin vividly conveys his intimate kwledge of the people and the countryside in this ancient part of France (home of the Lascaux caves). In three narratives of small-town life, Merwin shows with matchless poetic and narrative power how the past is still palpably present. On its original publication in 1992 Jane Kramer wrote, These stories are a gift from one of the great poets of the English language, a chronicle of the heart-stopping seasons of one small corner of La France Profonde and of its stubborn and illusive characters. Merwin s French peasants are a force of nature, like the blackberry brambles that used to choke his garden, and he cultivates them both with that attentive, exacting, and relentlessly patient genius that great poets and great gardeners share. This is, simply, the most beautiful writing about France I kw.
- Author BiographyW. S. Merwin is the author of many highly regarded books of poetry and prose, for which he has received the Pulitzer Prize, the Bollingen Award, and numerous other awards. He lives in Hawaii.
- Author(s)W S Merwin
- PublisherCounterpoint LLC
- Date of Publication13/09/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCounterpoint LLC
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $26.86Trending at AU $27.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.