Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $37.60Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $61.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn internationally recognized treasure of early literature, this new book will make The Mabigi available to a wider audience as a unique work presented in a format that brings these tales to life and is visually beautiful in its own right. This book is an attractive, modern, reliable and readable replacement to Lady Charlotte Guest's Mabigion . It provides present-day readers of English with a close, accurate translation into modern idiomatic English that will make this preeminent classic of early Welsh literature accessible, understandable and enjoyable. It includes a striking visual dimension never before addressed in translations of these legends. This book describes landscape photographs of hills, mounds and ruins and also many of the places named in the text seen as they are today - as vibrant towns and farms, inhabited by the very real people of Wales. Gives the reader a sense of the living landscape in which these tales are set. The fact that Lady Charlotte Guest's Mabigion can be found even today amongst the bestsellers in Wales reflect the enduring attraction of these stories. It draws on the full range of linguistic and literary scholarship of the past thirty years.
- Author BiographyJohn K. Bollard received a BA from the University of Rochester in New York, after which an interest in medieval literature, especially early Arthurian literature, enticed him to the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, where he took an MA in Medieval Welsh Language, Literature, and History. Moving then to the University of Leeds, he received a PhD for his comparative study of Middle English and Welsh Arthurian narrative. His published articles on the structure of The Mabinogi are recognized as seminal studies that broke new ground in our understanding of this Welsh classic. While pursuing a career as a lexicographer and editor in western Massachusetts, Dr. Bollard has taught courses in Medieval Welsh literature at the University of Massachusetts, the University of Connecticut, and Yale University, as well as courses in English at Smith College and Mount Holyoke College, and he has lectured widely on Medieval Welsh Literature and History. He has also published translations of early Welsh Arthurian poetry, the romance of Peredur, the prophetic poetry of Myrddin (Merlin), and Chaucer's Wife of Bath's Tale. He recently served as Executive Editor of the African American National Biography at Harvard University, and is currently Editorial Director of the Native American Biography Project.
- Author(s)John K. Bollard
- PublisherGomer Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2006
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationDyfed
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGomer Press
- Content Notecol. Illustrations, 1 col. map
- Weight744 g
- Width183 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $21.32Trending at AU $23.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.