All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the Iran-Iraq War through the Occupation, this collection of fictional short stories presents an uncompromising view of the relationship between the West and Iraq, as well as a haunting critique of the postwar refugee experience. Blending allegory with historical realism and subverting expectations in an unflinching comedy of the macabre, these tales manage to be both phantasmagoric and shockingly real. For all the despair and darkness portrayed in these gripping stories--from spotlighting hostage-video makers in Baghdad to following human trafficking in Serbia's forests--what lingers more than the haunting images of war is the spirit of defiance and of indefatigable courage.
- Author BiographyHassan Blasim is a writer, a poet, and an award-winning filmmaker. He has written for www.iraqstory.com and his first short story in English was published in Madinah: City Stories from the Middle East. Jonathan Wright has been an Arabic translator for more than 30 years and has worked as a journalist for Reuters international new agency. His first major literary translation was Taxi by Khaled el-Khamissi.
- PrizesLong-listed for Independent Foreign Fiction Prize 2010.
- Author(s)Hassan Blasim
- PublisherComma Press
- Date of Publication03/08/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationMytholmroyd
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintComma Press
- Weight122 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Translated byJonathan Wright
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.02
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.