Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionAmong the many introductions to opera, this is perhaps the best. J. Merrill Knapp, Professor Emeritus at Princeton University, divides his subject into two parts: In the first, he discusses the structure, production, theatrical conventions, and esthetics of opera; in the second, he features biographies of the major composers and cogent analyses of exemplary qualities in their works. Opera should have a wide appeal, says Knapp in his Preface. In the past too many sensible people have associated it with diamond tiaras, exclusive theater boxes, opening night social sbbery, and haughty prima donnas. For more understanding and kwledge are needed to get rid of these past impressions and to prove that opera is both within the comprehension of the ordinary person and worthy of high aspiration and serious study. This book will open ears and change minds. It is the ideal foundation for anyone curious about--or already in love with--the magical world of opera.
- Author(s)John Merrill Knapp
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication01/08/1985
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDa Capo Press Inc
- Content Note21ill.mus.exs.
- Weight465 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.